Bow Rehairs and Repairs
Martin Paul offers repair and restoration work to violin, viola and cello bows. All work is completed by our archétier Paul Shields.
Paul first sorts each hank of hair by hand, allowing him to control the consistency and weight – this provides a seamless and smooth playing experience in the finished bow rehair. He cuts each new wedge individually – an integral part of maintaining the tension and spread of the hair.
Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for a rehair – we can provide a loan bow to use during this time.
Bow Repairs & Restorations
Over time, bows can sustain a significant amount of wear and tear from normal use and accidental damage. Paul Shields specialises in the repair and restoration of fine bows – his attention to detail will return your bow to excellent playing condition.
We offer a full range of repairs to fine bows, including:
- Tip (bone, silver or gold) & eyelet replacement
- Replacing damaged or missing mother-of-pearl to frogs and adjusters/screws
- Repairing damaged frogs – fitting ebony patches
- Reparing or replacing silverwork
- Realigning adjusters & eyelets
- Repairing severely worn sticks with pernambuco patches (often around the index finger or thumb contact points)